How Much Do You Know?
Essex & Associates::www.essexinc.biz September 1, 2011
Just how much do you know about your taxpayer rights? If you answer all five questions correctly, I'll put you in a drawing for a $100 restaurant gift card.
1. How many rights does the taxpayer have?
2. When an IRS employee has been rude to you, what should you do?
a. Yell back at them.
b. Slam down the phone and swear.
c. Ask to speak to a supervisor.
d. Threaten to sue.
3. If you are afraid to go to an IRS meeting, what are your options?
a. Hire a representative to go instead.
b. Have someone go with you.
c. Arrange to record the meeting.
d. All of the above.
4. When you cannot pay all the taxes you owe, when due, what are your options?
a. Don't file a tax return. That way, the IRS won't know how much you owe.
b. Set up a monthly payment plan.
c. Lie about your balance due on your tax return.
d. Blame it on the economy and forget it.
5. If you disagree about the amount of your tax liability, what is not a sensible option?
a. Request an appeals hearing.
b. Go to Tax Court.
c. Go to the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
d. Just give in and pay the tax.
Thanks to my fellow tax professional Eva Rosenberg, EA, for the quiz.
Wishing you many happy returns,
Wayne T. Essex Ph.D.
Essex & Associates
Tax, Accounting, HR, Payroll
7501 Paragon Road
><> 937.432.1040 <><